If your day-to-day job requires you to do a lot of work on a laptop, then multiple monitors can be a great helping hand of yours. As they will enable you to do things faster and efficiently.
But a question that has been surfed over the internet for a while is “how to connect two monitors to my laptop?”, we have come across this question several times and then decided to come up with an instruction that will help anyone connect two monitors to their laptops.
So if you are someone who doesn’t know how to connect two monitors on a laptop, make sure to go through…
How to Connect Two Monitors to My Laptop?
Connecting two monitors on a laptop is super simple, all you need is the cables and the knowledge of where to put the cables. However, make sure to follow the instructions below, you’ll be able to connect monitors successfully.
Related Article: How To Connect Nintendo Switch To Laptop
- Make sure your laptop is on, and you would be connecting the monitor cables while the laptop is on.
- Check if both of the new monitors come with suitable cables. Your laptop should have one option for VGA and another for HDMI. So make sure your monitors also come with two different cables, otherwise, you’ll have to use a splitter.
- Put the power cable on the monitor and then connect the plug to the power outlet. Then take the monitor’s external cable and then plug that onto the suitable port.
- Do the same for the second monitor as well. Plug the power adapter in and then connect the cable.
- If your windows is on, that’ll automatically discover the new monitors but you can check it by going into the display setting.
- This is how you check whether the monitors are connected or not…
- Click right on the mouse.
- Click on the display setting.
- On top, you’ll see a display arrangement, where you should three 3 displays
- Display 1 is your primary display which is the laptop’s display and 2,3 are the new ones you just added.
- On the display setting, you will get to customize the displays. The most common customization is to extend all the displays so that you can use each screen for different purposes.
What to Check Before Connecting Dual Monitors on the Laptop?
Do you have a suitable laptop for two monitors? Even though most of the windows laptops now support 2 monitors at least but still, it would be wise to check if your laptop is compatible with two extra monitors or not. And to ensure that you will have to look at the following things.
Related Post: How to connect a PC laptop to a monitor
Your laptop comes with a graphics card and you have to make sure that it is compatible with two monitors. The information will be found on the graphics card itself, but since that’s not a convenient option, you can search for your graphics card on the web and then check the specification.
There should be something like multi-monitor supported or Multi-monitor = Yes. For accurate information, you should check the manufacturer’s website. For example, if your laptop comes with an NVIDIA graphics card, check on NVIDIA’s official website.
Ports on the Laptop
After that, you’ll have to check out how many ports your laptop has. If you have one port, then you’ll have to do something for another monitor.
Usually, laptops come with DVI (digital video interface). HDMI (High definition multimedia interface), and VGA (video graphics array) ports.
Related Post: How to Connect Tablet to Laptop
Check your laptop and see which ports you have. If you are using the latest laptop then probably you have one of each. If that’s the case, then you will have to make sure the monitor cable also matches.
For example, if both of the monitors come with HDMI cables, you won’t be able to connect directly, as your laptop has one HDMI port. What you should do is, buy two monitors with different ports.
However, it is not like you can’t use two HDMI cable monitors with a single HDMI port, sure you can, with a spiller. But in the long run, there are high chances of frequent connection drops.
What to Do if my Laptop Doesn’t Come with the Needed Ports?
Well, if your laptop ports don’t match with the connectors, there is still a way for you to use two monitors with your laptop/ But for that, you will have to spend a little money. Here is how you can do it…
- Get yourself a good-quality HDMI dual monitor adapter or pluggable 4k display port. All you need is a working USB 3.0 port on your laptop. You will connect the adapter to the laptop’s USB port and then you will connect the monitor connectors to the new ports you just attached.
- Or you can go for a switch or display splitter as well. In case you don’t know, a splitter is something that will come with two or more ports.
(For example, if your laptop has a single HDMI port but both of your monitors come with HDMI connectors, in that case, you can attach the splitter to your laptop’s HDMI port and then connect the monitor connectors to the Two HDMI ports of the splitter. However, sometimes they drop the connection. )
- Or you can use a docking station, that works pretty cool too.
What to Do if the Laptop Didn’t Discover the New Monitors?
It happens sometimes that laptops cannot detect the external monitors automatically. In that case, you will have to re-check the connections and make sure you have put the right cable to the right port.
And then you’ll have to wait for a few minutes. Restarting your laptop could be a good move too.
And even then your laptop doesn’t find the monitors. Then either the graphics card doesn’t support two monitors or you need to update the driver.
If it is an issue with the graphics card, there is no way other than buying a new graphics card. And if it is the issue of updating the driver, then are a few ways you can do that.
You can upgrade the drive both manually and automatically, here is how to do that.
Automatically: To update the driver automatically you will need the help of third-party software like Driver easy. There are free versions available, and it will automatically detect the outdated drivers and then will update them. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
Manually: You will have to identify what driver needs to update and then you’ll have to search for that correct driver, download that, and then install it on the laptop.
How Much Storage Do I Need on My Laptop? – 4 Easy Methods
How to connect two monitors to my laptop? This question is now answered in the simplest way possible.
If you have gone through the entire article, you know exactly how to do it and what to do if the laptop is unable to discover the monitors. I hope this guide was worth reading, let me know if I can help you with anything else.