Follow the steps below to connect your switch console to your laptop.
- Step 1: Locate the HDMI output port on the Nintendo Switch Dock and hook it up to one of the ends of the HDMI Cable.
- Step 2: Next, take the opposite end of the HDMI cable and connect it to the HDMI in port on the Elgato Game Capture Card.
How To Connect Switch To Laptop, in this article, we explain how to use your laptop to play games like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate or Animal Crossing on your Nintendo Switch.
If you want to play these games but don’t have a capture card, there are other alternatives for you as long as you have a computer to stream them from your Nintendo Switch console.
Note: You might remember using an HDMI connection to view media on your computer on a bigger screen, such as a monitor or television.
The HDMI Out port works the opposite way. It allows you to externally output something from your computer’s display screen onto a connected monitor or television.
How to Connect Nintendo Switch to a Laptop
You will need an HDMI cable in order to plug your Nintendo Switch’s dock into the HDMI port on your laptop if you don’t have one with you already. Now press down on the upper half of your Nintendo Switch’s switch and carefully slide it out of its bottom section.
- Disconnect the HDMI cord from the Nintendo Switch and the TV.
- Connect the HDMI cord from your Nintendo Switch to the HDMI In port on your Elgato HD60 HDMI capture card.
Tip: Because this process consumes a lot of electricity, it’s important to make sure both your laptop and Nintendo Switch dock are plugged into an electrical outlet.
- Open Game Capture HD on your laptop.
- Press the Home button on any connected controller to turn on your Nintendo Switch system.
- Connect the capture card to your laptop using the USB cable that came with the Elgato HD60.
- Within Game Capture HD, you should see your Nintendo Switch home screen within a few seconds.
Tip: If the Nintendo Switch isn’t detected by Elgato’s Gear Capture HD software, make sure that the HDMI cable is plugged into the In the port of your capture card rather than its Out port. It should be connected to the USB cord on the same side.
- In the top-right corner of the Game Capture HD window, you will see an icon labelled Fullscreen. Click it to open your entire screen up to use for gameplay recording.
- Don’t worry about keeping your hands off the keyboard and mouse. The Nintendo Switch footage should get bigger when it expands to span the entire screen. You can play Nintendo switch games on your laptop in the same way that you can play them on a TV.
Tip: On a Windows 10 laptop, with an HDMI cable, you can use your Nintendo Switch to watch movies from any other device.
About Capture Cards
For this technique, any capture card with a USB-C connection and an HDMI In connector will suffice. It should meet the needs of most gamers on a budget as it delivers optimum performance without breaking the bank.
While there are several different brands to choose from, Elgato cards are among the most popular due to their affordability, build quality-, and ease of use.
To follow these instructions, you will need an Elgato HD60 HDMI capture device and the free Elgato Game Capture HD software. How To Connect Switch To Laptop The HDMI cable may be purchased on Amazon.
Switch game devices can also be easily connected to a laptop using another capture card like Elgato Game Capture HD60.
Most game capture software works similarly, so you can use another program in the same way if you want an alternative to Elgato Game Capture HD.
Another Way to Play Nintendo Switch Games on Your Laptop
Playing your favorite Nintendo Switch games on your laptop might seem hard at first, but it’s actually easier than it seems. It’s affordable and there are many tutorials available online that will walk you through the process with ease.
Nintendo Switch is a wildly popular gaming device and it works on multiple devices. For example, Minecraft and Fortnight have their own alternative platform created by Microsoft which means its players can pick up games they started on the Nintendo Switch at any time they start playing again.
Even if they’re playing Minecraft on their laptops or working with friends on developing a fort in Fortnight through their computers instead.
Tip: Check out the Xbox Play Anywhere program if you play on both Windows and Xbox systems. These games are often less expensive and allow you to buy two copies of it, but you only have to purchase one license.
Cody is a passionate gamer, writer, and computer programmer who’s always looking for ways to optimize and automate everyday tasks. When he’s not immersed in prose and code, he’s busy tinkering with computers, automating his home, and spending time with his wife and kids.